Tis the season to wage war against colds and flu. This winter, being well prepared is key to keeping your family healthy.
Dettol presents some tips to keep the coughs and sniffles away this winter:
- Wash your hands: The most effective way to stop the spread of diseases is by washing your hands with soap like Dettol bar soap. Lather your hands for at least 20 seconds, before rinsing and drying your hands thoroughly – preferably with disposable paper towels or by air-drying them. Regular handwashing – before and after handling food, before eating, and after coughing, sneezing or using the toilet – helps prevent you from picking up colds and flu. It also helps prevent illnesses such as hepatitis and other viruses. 3 If you can’t find a place to wash your hands, use waterless hand sanitiser such as Dettol Hand Sanitiser, which protects against 99.9% of germs anytime, anywhere! Pop it into your handbag for convenience and peace of mind.
- Disinfect: Keep your kitchen clean with Dettol Hygiene Cleaner Kitchen Trigger. Use on kitchen chopping boards, kitchen counters, kitchen sinks and dish sponges.4 Remember, pets’ bowls and shopping bags can also be germ hotspots. Disinfecting your bathroom sink and the bath tub is a good idea too, especially after someone in your family has been ill.
- Use a moisturising disinfectant or soap for baths: The skin is an important barrier against germs and keeping it in great condition not only looks good, it protects you from infection and illness.5 Add Dettol Disinfectant Liquid with Aloe Vera to daily baths for germ protection and soft-feeling skin. Use Dettol Natural Nourishing soap with the natural goodness of olive and almond to make your skin feel moisturised, healthy and protected.
- Keep hygiene wipes in your bag: Carry a pack of disinfectant wipes and use these to clean frequently handled surfaces.
Some of the germiest surfaces are:6
- Computer keyboards;
- Door knobs and door handles; and
- remote controls.
These surfaces can accumulate a large amount of potentially dangerous bacteria. Occasionally wiping them down with disinfectant will keep these from infecting you and your family. If you go to the gym, wipe down equipment before you use it.
5.Hydrate, eat well and exercise regularly: Water is important for every physiological process in your body. When dehydrated, your body can’t fight illness like it should. Nutrients such as vitamin C and zinc help to boost the immune system, as does regular exercise.It’s best to get your vitamins and minerals from actual food rather than taking supplements alone – so load up on fruits, especially citrus fruits, vegetables and nuts.
- Pumpkin seeds; and
- plain yogurt
- 6.Good night, sleep tight: Getting enough sleep has been shown to keep the immune system at its best. Infection-fighting antibodies and cells are reduced during periods when you don’t get enough sleep. Train your children to bath at a regular time for good hygiene, and before bedtime to keep them well rested.
Follow these winter health tips and you and your family will be closer to getting through winter without so much as a sniffle.